Wednesday, January 20, 2010

WHY?!!!!!! (and some funny)

I went and saw Daybreakers yesterday expecting to see something incredible.  As I've mentioned in previous posts, there's often nothing that can ruin a movie worse than high expectations, but I felt confident in this one. 

It was such a simple and great idea: In the 'not too distant future', Vampires have taken over and are harvesting the last remaining humans for blood.  The human race is becoming extinct and the Vampire scientists need to find an alternative... 

It starred Willem Defoe (who has experience in the genre with Shadow of the Vampire), and Ethan Hawke (who had put in his 'not too distant world' time in with Gattaca)

The trailer looked fuckin awesome:




And does this sound familiar?  It was written and directed by Brothers and the poster shows people hooked up to machines that using them to keep a society alive!





Come on!!! This was going to be the next Matrix (and I don't mean Matrix 2 or 3!!)... How could it not be awesome!!!!!!!


It wasn't. 

I don't want to ruin anything (more than the these Spierig Brothers already did!), but I will say, they did do a great job of creating this alternate world. There are tons of details that made me think this film was going to be great (and could have been).  Unfortunately, it ends up being like so many other bad movies do... Shoot 'em ups, explosions, "I'm sorry... just kidding... no really, I'm sorry...crap, too late", save the day (or should I say night!), "we should have made sure he was dead", lucky the bad guys forgot to account for the famous actor who's not in the last scene....  you get the idea!

So many plot holes, so much sillyness (mostly towards the end)... the only thing that could make me feel better is if there was another of those great animation news clips from China...


OHHHHH  YEAHHHHH!!!!!!





-k

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have anything to add? Things I should watch or may have missed? Let me know!