Monday, January 25, 2010

So what?!

I went and saw Youth In Revolt this weekend, and thought it was a fun movie and recommend it, but that's not the point of this entry...

It's about the complaint that everyone (myself included) seem to have about Michael Cera:

"He always plays the same roles"

We've all enjoyed him as a quiet, innocent, simple, buddy character in, well, ALL of his movies (and tv)... Superbad, Arrested Development, Juno, Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist, Paper Heart, Year One (I can imagine but will never actually know!)... He not only plays the same character, he IS the same character...


But then I thought about it.  Who cares!

I like all of those movies!  If it wasn't Michael Cera, it would be someone else playing that same character, and would it be any better?  Probably not, because he plays that character well!

The worst thing an actor can do is make you think about the real person, not the character they are playing when they come on screen and take you 'out off the movie'.  MC doesn't do this because as far as I know, that is him on screen in real life!  He IS that guy on and off the screen

Anyway, I won't rant anymore about it, but I'm just saying; So what! Stop complaining about Michael Cera, and spend the energy wondering why their aren't more comedies about suicide bombers...





GO SEE YOUTH IN REVOLT (and read the book!)


btw, there is a character in this movie, Francois Dillinger, that is the complete opposite of a Michael Cera character... Maybe it's a sign of things to come...



-k

1 comment:

  1. Yeah i was reading reviews complaining about him always doing the same kind of role and i was like WTF does everyone want him to do? He's an awkward, goofy looking young guy. Those are the roles he's gonna get.

    ReplyDelete

Do you have anything to add? Things I should watch or may have missed? Let me know!