Friday, January 1, 2010

Welcome back!!!

To start off the new year, I'll put up a list of my favourite films of the last decade (in no particular order):

1. The Dark Night - The Best Comic book film in a decade that was full of them (X-Men, Spiderman, The Watchmen)

2. Children of Men - In my opinion, the best movie of the decade. Every detail and shot, every word of dialogue, the acting and music make this a masterpiece

3. City of God - So much better than the MANY other 'gritty street' movies out there

4. Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind - My favourite move. Brilliant.... Everytime I watch this, I notice something else about how the director visualized memories... no other director could have pulled this off

5. Almost Famous - I could just listen to this film for both the music and dialogue

6. High Fidelity - John Cusack is a god (and welcome Jack Black!)

7. The Fall - See my review a couple of weeks ago

8. Lord of the Rings trilogy - Didn't let me down

9. Memento - Brilliant. Watch the movie when the chapters are in order and you can really appreciate the brilliance of the editing

10. Old Boy - not enough people have watched this. One of the great movies of all time

11. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon - When the first fight seen was finished, it was one of the few times I have wanted to stand up and cheer in the middle of a movie!

12. Best in Show - Easily the most watched movie in my collection, and I laugh every time I see it

13. Unbreakable - Every scene is shot like a page from a comic book, they constantly tell you that he is a superhero, and yet, the end is still a surprise... amazing film

14. Kung Fu Hustle - funny, fun and kick ass! Can't ask for more!

15. Brokeback Mountain - The acting puts this on the list.

16. Into the Wild - the scenery, music and acting draws you in and makes you feel every aspect of the characters journey

17. The Departed - Complicated enough to be interesting and characters to make it cool. Based on the Hong Kong film/ trilogy Infernal Affairs

18. Across the Universe - to put this movie together based on The Beatles catalogue of music is shear brilliance

19. Atanarjuat (The Fast Runner) - see my review from a few weekes ago

20. Shaun of the Dead - started a new Genre, Zom-Com )and introduced america to some of the best british comedians out there

21. The Hangover - I walked out of the theatre with tears in my eyes I was laughing so hard

22. Tigerland - gritty and realistic, a new take on a part of the Vietnam war, and welcomed in Colin Farrell

23. Training Day - Made bad guys cool, and Crime dramas about more than CSI and the lawyers

24. Super Troopers - One of the funniest movies of all time

25. Idiocracy - A future where darwinism has gone awry, and people have bred themselves stupid... HILARIOUS!  And please note, they are all wearing crocs!

26. Bad Santa - The only true must-see Christmas movie!

2 comments:

  1. Yep, Children of Men is simply one of the best films that has ever been made. Have you seen Extract yet? It's Mike Judge's new movie (once again the movie studio fucked him over and didn't push it a centimeter). Wasn't as good as Office Space or idiocracy but still quite enjoyable

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did see Extract recently. I think it's the first Mike Judge movie that was released the same year he finished it! The pool guy made it worth watching, but I didn't think it was up to Mike's high standards of some of the funniest movies of all time (Office Space, Idiocracy and even, for it's time, Beavis & Butthead)

    ReplyDelete

Do you have anything to add? Things I should watch or may have missed? Let me know!