Tuesday, December 1, 2009

It's snowing which made me think of another great film you've probably never seen!

My recommendation of a small budget Canadian film based on an Inuit legend, where everyone speaks Inuktitut, and starring all non-actors would normally cause my friends to roll their eyes at me.  I've learnt my lesson of even trying to recommend art-house films that fit similar descriptions because one bad recommendation will cause them to ignore the next 10 movies that I know they really would like, but now will never see because I recommend them!

Knowing this, and knowing how badly I want everyone to listen to the next 10 recommendations, I stand by this and implore you to watch Atanarjuat: The Fast Runner.


Filmed entirely in the Igloolik region of Northern Canada, this is a movie that was meant to be seen on Blu-ray (although it seems it's only available on regular DVD). The scenes of life in the Arctic want me to watch my Planet Earth dvd again, and the any description of the sounds of snow seem silly until you hear this movie in Stereo...

Sorry, I'm scaring you off again!

Maybe I should mention that this movie also contains adultery, murder, a shaman's curse, and revenge!


What happens in a society where there is no concept of 'Police' and there is a murder?  When the Leaders of the village (is that what you call it?) are not good people or don't like you? 

I don't want to ruin any of this movie as it is something that has to be seen to be appreciated, and yes, I know that the beginning is a little confusing and a few parts seem a little slow, but keep your mind open and appreciate it. It's like nothing you have ever seen before





Some facts about the Fast Runner:

~ You'll notice that there is no warning in the film regarding "No animal was harmed in the making of this film" because there were.  However, every animal killed was used in true Inuit fashion; all the meat was consumed, and the skins were put to practical use.

~ Atanarjuat was the first feature film ever to be written, directed and acted entirely in Inuktitut, the language of Canada's Inuit people.

~ Atanarjuat was filmed with an all-Inuit cast in Inuktitut on location under extreme conditions. To achieve this on a modest $1.9 million budget.  Some perspective: Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End had a budget of over $300 million!

http://atanarjuat.com/legend/legend_film.php




If you like/ liked this film, also see Whale Rider... I'm sure I'll review it one day!
-k

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have anything to add? Things I should watch or may have missed? Let me know!