Friday, March 12, 2010

Finally!

It feels like I haven't written about movies in ages, and for no better reason than pure laziness of writing more than a sentence and attaching a youtube clip!

So, finally, here's a few of the films I've seen lately:

Shutter Island
I was hesitant to go see this film after seeing the trailers and thinking it was going to be a horror movie and that's just not my thing.  Well, I'm glad I went because it was great.  I don't want to ruin anything for anyone, but know this: a) Despite it's trailer, it is NOT a horror movie.  Scorsese does a great job of creating suspense and tension with the music and editing, but there are no boogie men, and no one is jumping out of the closet and killing everyone, and b) It's Martin Scorsese. If there are any directors out there that deserve some credit and your confidence that he will make a great film, it's him

Although, he should fire whoever ran his marketing campaign




Alice in Wonderland
I generally love the work of Tim Burton, so it hurts me to say that I was underwhelmed by this movie.  While much of the special effects are amazing (the Queen of Hearts was priceless), much of the CGI was awkward, and took me out of the movie.  I kept wondering how hard it would have been to digitally remove a gap from Johnny Depps teeth instead of putting some black putty on them, or why Krispen Glover (as the Jack of Hearts) looked so fake while he was riding his horse when they could have simply shot really horse riders... I still could have overlooked it's visual flaws, as there were definitely more good than bad, but it was the forced used of Depp in too many parts (WHAT IS UP WITH THAT DANCE SCENE?!?!?!  When/ If you see the movie, you'll know what I'm talking about) and the typical Hollywood movie battle of the 3rd act that is unforgivable.  Anyway, I don't want to bash it too much, it was... good... but just not as great as it should have been.  And definitely not what I was hoping for




-k

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have anything to add? Things I should watch or may have missed? Let me know!